In this blog, I’m going to explain what you consider adding the SaltStack Config resource in your Cloud Assembly designs.
If you integrated Salt Stack Config with vRealize Automation, you could apply the Salt Stack Config resource to install the minions on virtual machines in your deployments. After the minion is deployed, you can use Salt Stack Config's powerful configuration management, drift remediation, and state management capabilities to manage your resources.
Minions are agents that run the salt-minion service. The service subscribes to jobs published by a Salt master, which is a server that runs the salt-master service. When a specific job applies to a minion, the minion executes the job.
There are three types of minions in the Salt environment:
· Proxy minions that manage devices that cannot run the salt-minion service.
· Agentless minions that run Salt commands on a system without installing a Salt minion.
You can use the Salt Stack Config resource to deploy minions and apply state files when you deploy Linux and Windows machines. To add or update minions and state files on existing deployments, you can run the
Before you start
1. Verify that you installed Configure a SaltStack Config integration in vRealize Automation.
To familiarize yourself with how Understanding the SaltStack User Interface.
a. To verify the FQDN on the Salt master in
b. Filter the
d. Verify that the FQDN value is correct.
3. If you are deploying minions on a Linux machine, verify that the images in vSphere that you intend to deploy with a Salt minion have SSH capabilities enabled. SSH is used to remotely access the machine and deploy the minion.
Note: If the VMware Tools Salt minion is an older version, deploying a minion against the virtual machine does not upgrade the Salt master to the latest version. You must upgrade your Salt master manually. See Upgrade the Master Plugin for more information.
6. Verify that you can assign IP addresses to the machines you deploy.
7. Verify that the cloud template that you are adding the minion to is deployable before you add the
8. Verify that you have the following service roles:
Stay with me 😃 In my next blog, I will cover below topics.